Wednesday, March 31, 2010

a very long time ago i was hesitant to start this blog in the first place because of this very reason. that i would simply fail at maintaining it. and i have. obviously, blatantly, and sadly enough. and once i fail at something i try to avoid it. i don't want the reminder of what i've done poorly. yet for some reason after 584 days of silence i am speaking again. maybe not because i have something heroic, dramatic, or insightful to share, but because i don't want to be afraid of my misakes anymore. and an empty, long ago started blog is a mistake. not a big one or a life changing one, but a sad one. but rather than let that stop me i am moving forward. today is a new start. today is a new beginning. how can i believe this if i don't act on it?

so no, i am not a failure despite my mistakes. because while i have failed at maintaining this blog i have succeeded in so much more during those same 584 filled-with-adventure days.



-i have travled to unknown places, including 10 new countries, 2 new continents, and countless cities.


- i have met amazing people from around the world and built lasting friendships


- i have sailed on a ship with a crew of 350 people on a ship that is 95 years old


- i have not been afraid to try foreign foods, including kangaroo, dog, balut, spider, beetle, cockroach, mangoseed, and countless other items


- i have read through nearly the entire bible (and i plan to finish in the next few weeks)


- i have overcome my fear of heights several times, even if only for a moment


- i have worked with wirebrushes, featherers, hammers, ropes, wood, rust, metal, knots, dirt, anchors, mooring lines, bosun chairs, paint, scrapers, tanks, crawl spaces, cement, and other items most of which were new challenges for me


- i have kept in touch with the people that were important to me; even when it proved very difficult to do


- i have made mistakes, friends, adventures, meals, presents, and lots of random fun


- the most important thing i have done is learn so much more about myself, my faith, my past, my strengths, my ambitions, my motives, and what is important to me



and right now, continuing with this blog is important to me. so here's to new beginnings.


No comments: